The humble potato, knobby and still smelling of earth, can do so very much. We can smash it and stuff it inside pierogis or its own skin. We can simmer it with shreds of chicken and corn. We can spice it with cumin and coriander to make a curry or slice it paper-thin for a casserole. No matter what form the potato might take, we are sure to love it equally. And it's not so shabby on the nutritional side either; surprisingly high in Vitamins C and B6, potatoes make a sturdy centerpiece to supper, especially when joined by a pile of greens or slice of high-quality fish.
So we think you shouldn't need an excuse to eat a potato for dinner tonight, but just in case here are ten.
I always have a few potatoes in my cupboard. It's a rotating inventory of dusty russet potatoes, smooth-skinned red potatoes, and golden Yukons. Each of these has their own particular characteristics that make them great, and depending on which one I have at the time, I know that a baked potato or a soup or a creamy curry is only a matter of getting out a pan.
What are your potato recipes do you make again and again?
- 1 Bacon-Cheddar Twice Baked Potatoes
- 2 Baked Potato Soup With Bacon, Green Onion & Cheddar
- 3 Scalloped Potatoes with Onions and Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Sauerkraut, Potato & Cheese Pierogi
- 5 Colombian Ajiaco (Chicken and Potato Soup)
- 6 Potato, Squash & Goat Cheese Gratin
- 7 Smoked Salmon Potato Cakes with Herb Crème Fraîche
- 8 Potato and Cauliflower Curry
- 9 Smashed Potatoes with Crème Fraîche
- 10 Mashed Potato Puffs
(Image credits: See linked recipes for full image credits)