I have been dreaming about these bars all year. Dreaming of ripe summer peaches baked onto a tender shortbread crust, topped with nutty oat crumble and a tangy lemon glaze. Oh, yes, I have. And now, finally, the peaches are here. Along with the strawberries. And the blackberries, and soon now, the plums. We need to make the most of all these summer fruits while they are here — give ourselves something to dream about once their sweet season is over. Are you with me? Here are our top ten most dream-worthy recipes with summer fruit. Make them now. Don't wait.
Something magical happens to fruits when you bake them into a cake or a crumble. They soften and their sugars concentrate, transforming these fruits into something halfway between just-picked and jam. In other words, something just right.
You may be looking at the thermometer right now and wondering if it's worth turning on the oven. The answer is yes, it is. Pick a cool morning or an evening after work, and just go for it. After all, these fruits are only at their peak for a short while — that first bite of fresh cherry pie or plum crumble or strawberry scone will make it all worthwhile.
Do you have a favorite pie or crumble that you look forward to making every summer?
- 1 Peach & Pecan Oat Crumble Bars
- 2 Blueberry Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- 3 Whole Wheat Plum Crumble Pie
- 4 Peach & Ginger Hand Pies
- 5 Apricot, Almond & Strawberry Crumble
- 6 Strawberry-Sour Cream Scones with Brown Sugar Crumble
- 7 Peach and Spice Tea Muffins
- 8 Back-to-Basics Cherry Pie
- 9 Individual Blackberry Bourbon Slumps
- 10 Roasted Strawberry Goat Cheese Squares
Bonus Recipe! How to Make a Fruit Crumble with Any Kind of Fruit
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)