Whether you're lactose intolerant or just avoiding dairy, ice cream for dessert usually means an empty bowl of sadness or perhaps a serving of sorbet — but it doesn't have to. Here are 10 dairy-free recipes to satisfy any creamy ice cream cravings.
Coconut milk is the star in many of these recipes because it produces an ice cream that is creamier and less icy than other dairy alternatives, such as soymilk. But frozen banana also makes an appearance in a chocolate twist on our favorite one-ingredient ice cream, and La Tartine Gourmand has an intriguing "fake" ice cream made with raspberries, sugar and egg white.
GET THE RECIPES:
• 1 3-Ingredient Healthy Ice Cream
• 2 Roasted Apricot Ice Cream with Almond Praline Ripple
• 3 Pina Colada Ice Cream at Elana's Pantry
• 4 Strawberries with Fake Raspberry Ice Cream at La Tartine Gourmand
• 5 Roman's Dairy-Free Chocolate & Coconut Ice Cream at Food & Wine
• 6 Choc-a-Block Choc Banana Pudding Ice Cream at Veggie Num Num
• 7 Roasted Strawberry & Coconut Milk Ice Cream at Sprouted Kitchen
• 8 Coconut Caramel Ice Cream at Big Girls Small Kitchen
• 9 Vegan Nectarine Ice Cream at Gluten-free Goddess
• 10 Coconut Chai Ice Cream at Savvy Eats
Do you have any favorite dairy-free ice cream recipes?
Related: Resources for Dairy-Free Recipes?
(Images: Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan; Sprouted Kitchen)