Yesterday the United States lost to Belgium in the World Cup, and all around me New York felt glum and defeated as everyone trudged back to his or her respective apartments. Whether your favorite team is still in the running or lost some time ago, you probably know that horrible losing feeling. Well, there’s only one cure for this somber mentality, and that’s comfort food.
Come shed some tears in the cheesiest macaroni and cheese, a Nutella brownie, or the fluffiest pancakes in all the land.
Here are some of our favorite comfort foods, with recipe links at the bottom of the photo (if needed). So go ahead and grab a fork or spoon and start eating.
1. Crusty bread with some good butter or olive oil.
You really can't go wrong with carbs and fat.
2. Brownies that are super fudge-y and easy to make.
3. Super cheesy homemade mac and cheese.
4. The best pancakes ever with lots of butter and syrup.
5. Messy burritos with lots of hot sauce.
6. Super smooth ice cream with great toppings.
7. Mashed potatoes. In a bowl. With a spoon.
8. The cheesiest grilled cheese ever.
9. Extra crispy fried chicken.
10. Pizza. Duh.
It's OK if you cry into your food. It will make things a little better. Trust.
(Image credits: Emma Christensen; Shutterstock/ alexpro9500; Dana Velden; Nealey Dozier; Sarah Rae Smith; Gif Buffet (Tumblr))