Whether you're shopping for someone who just got her first apartment or is already living in her fifth, there are some must-have items every home cook needs. And it might be up to you get them for her.
Take a look at this list and see what she's missing. Buy one or three things now and she'll be able to use them forever.
- Master Series Coarse Paddle Grater, $30 at Williams-Sonoma: Microplane (the mother of all graters) recently came out with this wood-handled line, with sustainably harvested American walnut. It's amazingly pretty and still as hardworking as ever.
- Victorinox Kitchen Shear, $26: Everyone talks about knives, but let's get real: We can't live without our shears. These can handle so many tasks — large and small — and stay sharp all the way through.
- Epicure Chef's Knife, $190 at Sur la Table: That said, knives are still important. This eight-inch chef's knife features a single piece of steel and an invisible ceramic coating. And the handle is made with the same material used in skateboard parks, so it's super durable.
- Diamond Chambray Kitchen Towel Set, $15 for two at Coyuchi: You're not the only one who looks good in chambray — it's also a nice touch in a kitchen. These colorful beauties, made of thirsty organic cotton, are absorbent to boot!
- Carbon Steel Skillet, from $195 at Blanc Creatives: We've already sung the praises of carbon steel and we'll keep on doing it. Sure, you can find a starter option for $25 at a restaurant supply store, but this one could become a family heirloom.
- Atlas Pepper Mill, $52: Handmade in Greece, this gorgeous copper pepper mill features a steel grinding mechanism built to last. Plus it generates seven times the amount of pepper than standard mills.
- Mason Cash Animal Bowls, $115 at King Arthur Flour: Every kitchen needs at least one set of durable mixing bowls. This chip-resistant earthenware set fits the bill — and has a playful design featuring owls, foxes, hedgehogs, and rabbits.
- Turnabout Board, $80 at JK Adams: This maple reversible carving board features a flat side, which can be used as a cutting or serving board, and another with an indentation that cradles meat during carving. It couldn't be more practical if it tried!
3-Piece Glass Measuring Cup Set, $15: You've gotta love Pyrex. This set (including a one-cup, two-cup, and four-cup option) seems to have the ability to last forever. And the measuring cups are some of Pyrex employee's favorite items.
Set of 3 Kitchen Tools, $35 at Kate Spade: There's no match for this coordinating spatula, skimmer, and wooden spoon set.