Our sister site Apartment Therapy is running their Room for Color contest, an annual celebration of color in the home in all its incarnations, from soft and subtle to bold and bright. And of course we're most interested in the kitchens, so we went looking for our favorite kitchens in this contest. Want to see what we found?
There's a bright, modern kitchen done up in chartreuse, and a sleek space with a pop of red in the kitchen rug. There's a bold blue and brown kitchen, and another inspired by a Tiffany jewel box. Another kitchen reminds me of a Penguin paperback book. All use color in interesting ways; it's amazing what a little paint can do! Come take a peek into all 10 of these colorful, real-life kitchens.
• 1 Monica's "Soft Chartreuse and Palest Beach Glass" Room - A Wisconsin kitchen, full of light and happy color.
• 2 Cindy's "Reserved Suzani" Room - I just love this room: the kitchen open to the table and the living area, and the quiet neutrals livened up by that pop of red.
• 3 Emily's "Appetizing Retro Fun" Kitchen - This kitchen is colorful enough to stand up to Seattle's gray winters. The floating cabinets were built by a previous owner; aren't they beautiful?
• 4 Bridget's "Jewel Box" Room - A room inspired by the greenish-blue of Tiffany's jewel boxes.
• 5 Anna's "Whimsical Color" Room - Apple green and red lighten up Anna's old-fashioned woodwork and cabinets.
• 6 Cory's "Orange with a Kick" Room - I never thought I would say it, but I love these orange stripes! With the grey, they remind me of the old Penguin paperback book design.
• 7 Beth's "Cottage in Provence" Room - An amazing space, warm and reminiscent of the traditional colors of Southern France.
• 8 Michele's "Happy Daze in Austin" Room - Vintage orange and green are playful and cheery.
• 9 Kristina's "Cuban Vacation" Room - A pop of mustard level helps the living room transition into the bar and kitchen area.
• 10 Nick's "Modern Gray" Room - A more subtle palette, and interesting for the way the kitchen was designed to flow together visually with the dining and living spaces.
• See all the Room for Color entries: Room for Color 2011
(Images: via Apartment Therapy)