There are those of us who gravitate towards the sweeter side of things when it comes to breakfast, and those who seek out savory. And we all have our weekday routines and weekend rituals. But when it comes to holiday breakfasts, all bets are off and doing something special and out of the ordinary is the perfect way to set forth new traditions — or just make one truly delicious breakfast.
Here are a few of our favorite hearty breakfast casseroles — most fall in the make-ahead category, and all are special enough in their own way to grace your holiday table this year. We looked for a nice balance between sweet and savory, decadent and healthy, vegetarian and not-so-vegetarian. We'd love to know if you have a favorite morning casserole to add to the list!
- Spicy Breakfast Strata with Chorizo, Red Pepper, and Cheddar - Inquiring Chef - This is a great way to use up leftover French bread or baguette, and is infinitely adaptable, so feel free to use any vegetables you'd like here.
- Potato Breakfast Gratin with Red Peppers & Parmesan - This hearty casserole will make savory fans proud with its deluxe combination of potatoes, eggs, and Parmesan. A great one to feed a crowd.
- Vegan Frittata - An Ode to Mung Beans. Ushering in a healthier spin on the breakfast casserole, this vegan frittata relies on tofu, nutritional yeast, and almond milk for its silky, savory flavor.
- Mexican Polenta Pie - Pinch of Yum - While not technically a breakfast recipe, we couldn't help but include this polenta pie, which boasts tender juicy meat, creamy polenta, and a handful of melty cheese. The meat takes a number of hours in the slow cooker, so perhaps start that the day before?
- Green Chile, Bacon, and Cheese Egg Bake - Recipe Girl - With a very simple ingredient list, this wonderful egg bake comes together quickly and could be served with warmed tortillas or biscuits. It slices easily to make a quick, impromptu sandwich filling the next day.
- Cream Cheese French Toast Breakfast Casserole - The Food Charlatan - Perhaps the most decadent recipe on the list, but also one you might not make every day. That's what holidays are for!
- Baked Honey Berry Oatmeal - Apple of My Eye - A great one to prepare the night before, this quick, healthy baked oatmeal dresses up beautifully with a dollop of vanilla yogurt and quick drizzle of honey.
- Baked French Toast with Caramelized Pears and Hazelnuts - Feasting at Home - Memorable baked French toast, this recipe features caramelized pears and toasty hazelnuts — the perfect addition to your holiday spread this year.
- Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake - Alexandra Cooks - For fans of a sweeter breakfast, this breakfast cake is reminiscent of a coffee cake ... without the topping. The buttermilk makes it super tender; feel free to use frozen berries, as fresh are hard to find this time of year.
- Cinnamon Sugar Pull Apart Bread - Joy the Baker - This addictive pull-apart bread isn't technically a casserole, but it seemed a shame not to include. Fragrant and delicious with coffee or tea, this is a good one to have around to snack on throughout the day.