Early spring calls for a very specific sort of supper. We want something comforting, yet light. Nourishing and simple, yet full of bright sunny flavor. Chicken with fennel, fried rice, curried udon noodles, Hainanese chicken, and a lovely Indian dish of flattened rice are all high on our list of favorites. Here are some of our best simple yet flavorful suppers that seem to suit early spring just right. TOP ROW
• 1 Curried Udon Noodle Stir-Fry - A wonderful vegan recipe from Veganomicon.
• 2 Hainanese Chicken With Rice - Tender poached chicken, fragrant rice. A favorite meal for early spring.
• 3 Chicken (or Tofu!) & Wild Rice Salad - A classic salad, updated for tofu, if you like.
• 4 Vegetarian Dduk Gook (Korean Rice Cake Soup) - This soup is a Korean New Year's tradition, but we think it also suits early spring.
• 5 Saffron Rice with Peas and Cashews - A quick, colorful pilaf of peas, cashews, and golden rice.
• 6 Lemon Garlic Chicken - A simple, totally delicious chicken dinner.
• 7 Hot and Sour Mushroom, Cabbage, and Rice Soup - With all the sour lime juice, juicy cabbage, and soft rice, this is pretty much my favorite spring meal.
• 8 Quick and Easy Fried Rice - Easy to pull together, and yet deeply satisfying.
• 9 Roasted Chicken Thighs with Fennel & Lemon - One more chicken recipe, and one that roasts on a juicy, lemony bed of fennel.
• 10 Breakfast Poha - Flattened rice with spices! This is utterly delicious.
What's your favorite meal for early spring? Do you have a recipe to share with us?
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)