Is winter over yet? We got a whiff of spring, and suddenly we can't wait for the garden, and fresh lettuce, and tender young growing things. One of our chief kitchen consolations, late in the winter, is lemon. We squeeze it over everything, savoring that tart, fresh flavor, and the promise of sunnier days to come. Here are nine savory lemon-dominated recipes that will bring a little sunshine to the dinner table. Here are a few recipes that look really, really good, from tangy lemon fish with capers, to zesty linguine, to lemon gnocchi with spinach and peas.
1. Pan-fried lemon sole fillets with salsa verde - Jamie Oliver. Simple, healthy, and good.
2. Lemon Gnocchi with Spinach and Peas - Gourmet. Gnocchi is such a comfort food for us!
3. Lemon-Scented Quinoa - Gourmet. A super-grain, and yet it tastes delicious!
4. Linguine with Lemon, Garlic, and Thyme Mushrooms - Nigella Lawson. We like this quick, easy recipe; it comes together fast.
5. Lemony Lentil Salad - Whole Living. Another simple meal, and great for lunches too.
6. Roasted chicken breast with lemony bombay potatoes - Jamie Oliver. Zesty, sexy, and very easy, as it all cooks together in a foil packet or tray.
7. Egg Salad with Lemon and Fennel - Gourmet. How sprightly, as the headnotes say! And a lovely twist on egg salad for spring.
8. Roast carrot and avocado salad with orange and lemon dressing - Jamie Oliver. What an absolutely stunning salad. We can hardly wait to eat this.
9. Lemony Risotto with Asparagus and Shrimp - As soon as asparagus comes back into season we will put this on the menu!
Do you have any lemon-themed recipes that you're eyeing right now?
Related: Mid-Winter Blues: 10 Sunny Recipes for Dreary Days
(Images: David Loftus/Jamie Oliver; Romulo Yanes/Gourmet; Romulo Yanes/Gourmet; Lis Parsons/Nigella Lawson; Martha Stewart; David Loftus/Jamie Oliver; Roland Bello/Gourmet; David Loftus/Jamie Oliver; Romulo Yanes/Gourmet)