1 T flour
1 c milk
4 oz sausage, uncooked
3 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1 medium tomato
8 oz penne (or your favorite pasta shape)
1 T mustard
1 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 t paprika (sweet or smoked)
pinch of salt
1. Put pasta cooking water on stove to boil.
2. Mix flour and milk. Set aside.
3. Chop sausage in to bite size pieces (about 1/2 inch cubes). Chop onion and tomato. Mince garlic.
4. Water should be boiling now. Add penne.
5. Sauté sausage until cooked, about 1 or 2 minutes. Set aside.
6. Cook garlic and onion in the same pan. If the sausage did not leave sufficient fat in the pan, add about 1/2 T of olive oil or butter (fat is necessary to thicken the sauce).
7. After 2 or 3 minutes (when onion is soft and garlic is just browning) add tomato and cook for about 1 minute more.
8. Add mustard, balsamic vinegar, and paprika to pan and stir for a moment.
9. Add milk and flour mixture. Stir until sauce is thickened.
10. Add salt to taste.
11. Drain penne. Mix with sauce.
Thanks Judith, and good luck! Readers, give Judith a thumbs up if you like this recipe!