There are a bunch of amazing looking cake recipes around, but they all have some kind of ingredient that I feel has to be refrigerated (dairy or otherwise). I want to mail a cake to my brother for his birthday this summer. Are there any good unspoilable cakes that could be mailed cross country?
Sent by KatrinaEditor: Katrina, first off, here's a great thread at MetaFilter discussing this very question:
• Mailing a cake at MetaFilter
We would advise making and mailing something that isn't elaborately frosted, and that is fairly dense and moist. Here are a few possibilities:
• Surprisingly Quick Root Beer Chocolate Bundt Cake (pictured above)
• Lemon Yogurt Cake with Ginger-Thyme Syrup
• Classic Poppy Seed Cake From Solo
• Sticky Spiked Double-Apple Cake with a Brown Sugar-Brandy Sauce
• Orange-Scented Olive Oil Cake from Saveur
• Ina Garten's Lemon Cake
Readers, have you ever shipped a cake? Any suggestions?
Related: A Summer Birthday Cake Roundup
(Image: Laure Joliet)