The Kitchn has been flooding my RSS feed reader with delicious, creamy fall soups, but all call for heavy cream. Is there any way that I can make it lactose-free? (Vegan-friendly, if possible, but that seems to be an impossible feat for a creamy soup.)
Sent by EmmaEditor: Emma, actually it is quite easy to make a soup that satisfies all your requirements and that is still creamy and velvety. The trick is just to sauté vegetables that have an amount of creaminess when pureed, and to blend them with just enough liquid (like vegetable stock and wine) to make them into a soup.
This soup, for instance, is very creamy when pureed, and you can substitute olive oil for the butter to make it completely vegan.
Also try these recipes, adjusting ingredients where necessary to make them vegan:
• Creamy Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Cumin
• Rutabaga Chipotle Soup - Just skip the cream; this recipe doesn't need it if the vegetables are pureed thoroughly.
• Sweet Potato Soup with Miso and Ginger - Again, just skip the milk.
• Spicy Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
• Butternut Squash, Apple and Sage Soup
You can also add ground nuts or other thickeners to help make a soup creamier without adding cream.
Readers, any more good soup recipes for Emma and her roommates?
(Image: Faith Durand)