Original Ice Cream Flavor:
Ovaltine Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
Ice Cream Chef: Rachel of Coconut & Lime
What inspired this recipe? My husband loves Ovaltine stirred into cold milk and I love anything that combines chocolate and malt. Ovaltine ice cream seemed like a logical step; retro and comforting but in a fun new form and with dark chocolate chunks.
Tastetester comments and full recipe after the jump. Take a look, then vote here!
My husband, Matt Rappaport said "Ovaltineriffic! It is like Ovaltine but better. I can't wait to have more!"
Ovaltine Chocolate Chunk Chunk Ice Cream
Yield: about 1 pint
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar, divided use
1/3 cup rich, chocolatey Ovaltine
2 oz dark chocolate, chopped*
3 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk together half of the sugar (1/8 of a cup equals 2 tablespoons) and all of the milk and cream until the sugar dissolves and the mixture almost boils, about 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining sugar and the egg yolks until it is yellow and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add about a 1/4 cup of the cream mixture into the eggs and whisk to combine. Pour the egg/cream mixture it into the cream mixture on the stove. Whisk in Ovaltine, vanilla and a pinch of sea salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and then strain the mixture into a bowl. Allow to cool on the counter then cover and place in the refrigerator to cool completely. Remove from the refrigerator and stir in the chocolate bits. Pour into a ice cream maker and churn until cold and set. Place in a freeze-safe container and freeze until solid.
*I chopped up part of a 70% Extra-bitter Sirius Pure Icelandic Chocolate bar I found at Whole Foods to give the ice cream a "grown up" edge but a slightly less dark bar could also be used.
Go here for the full scoop on the Best Lick! 2008 contest, including prizes, rules, and entry form.
• The Best Lick! Ice Cream Contest: 2008 Edition
The Entries So Far
Here's a list of all the entries so far. Click the thumbnail to go to the entry.
• Roasted Apricot Ice Cream with Almond Praline Ripple
• Chocolate Gelato with Salted Caramel Pecans
• Coconut Peach Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds
• Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Ice Cream
• Blueberry Brie Tart Ice Cream
• Grape Ice Cream
• Basil Infused Ginger and Cinnamon Ice Cream
• Rosemary-Lime Sparkle Ice Cream
• Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt with Pistachio Biscotti Bits
• Visions of Sugar Plum Ice Cream
• Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
• Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese
• Mint Raspberry with a Chocolate Swirl
• Spice Cream with a Twist
• Peach Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Salted, Roasted Pistachios and a Balsamic Bay Leaf Reduction
• Pink Lemonade Ice Cream
• No Churn Lychee and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream with Merlot Poached Pears
• Janine's Blueberry Basil Ice Cream
• Grand Marnier Apricot Ice Cream With Almonds
• Ovaltine Chocolate Chunk Chunk Ice Cream
(Images: Rachel of Coconut & Lime)