Ice Cream Chef: Kana
What inspired this recipe? This ice cream captures the flavours of my childhood in Malaysia. Cardamom is widely used in both sweet and savoury Indian dishes. One of my fondest memory of my home is during the mango season when our mango tree would be laden with fruits. Fruit vendors often sold sliced skewers of ripe mangoes, pineapples and guava dusted with a mixture that consists of hot chili, sugar and salt.
Tastetester comments and full recipe after the jump. Take a look, then vote here!Tastetester Comments: "Hauntingly addictive!"
Mango Chili Ice Cream
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
5 whole cardamom pods - crushed
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup cubed mango - pureed
pinch of salt
6 tb dried chili mango - cubed small ( from Trader Joe's)
Heat milk, crushed cardamom pods,heavy cream ,salt, sugar, pure vanilla extract and pureed fresh mango in a heavy bottomed, 2 to 3 quart capacity pot. Stir occasionally and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 1 hour. Return cream mixture to a boil uncovered. Separate eggs and set aside egg yolks in a large bowl. Whisk yolks.Add tablespoons of hot cream mixture (slowly, one tablespoon at a time, a total of 5 or 6 tablespoons) into the eaten egg yolks. Add egg yolk mixture into the cream mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly. DO NOT bring mixture to a boil.Cook custard over low heat until temperature reaches 170 - 175 degrees on a thermometer. Remove from heat and pour through a fine mesh sieve. Cool mixture completely. Then freeze it in ice cream maker according to instructions. Add cubes of dried chili mango into the frozen custard. Transfer into a container and let it harden in the freezer for about 2 hours.
Contest InformationGo here for the full scoop on the Best Lick! 2008 contest.
The Entries So FarHere's a list of all the entries so far. Click the thumbnail to go to the entry.
• Roasted Apricot Ice Cream with Almond Praline Ripple
• Chocolate Gelato with Salted Caramel Pecans
• Coconut Peach Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds
• Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Ice Cream
• Blueberry Brie Tart Ice Cream
• Grape Ice Cream
• Basil Infused Ginger and Cinnamon Ice Cream
• Rosemary-Lime Sparkle Ice Cream
• Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt with Pistachio Biscotti Bits
• Visions of Sugar Plum Ice Cream
• Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
• Apple Chardonnay Ice Cream with Bulgarian Sheep Cheese
• Mint Raspberry with a Chocolate Swirl
• Spice Cream with a Twist
• Peach Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Salted, Roasted Pistachios and a Balsamic Bay Leaf Reduction
• Pink Lemonade Ice Cream
• No Churn Lychee and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream with Merlot Poached Pears
• Janine's Blueberry Basil Ice Cream
• Grand Marnier Apricot Ice Cream With Almonds
• Ovaltine Chocolate Chunk Chunk Ice Cream
• Blueberry Coffeecake Ice Cream "Cone"
• Coconut and Thai Basil Ice Cream
• Mango Chili Ice Cream